Saturday, August 14, 2021

Tree-following: Red and Green


Both trees I'm following this year are red and green, but in different ways. Last month, Flash the maple was covered in green leaves and red samaras. The samaras are still red but looking duller. And the leaves are starting to turn red. It hasn't been cold, not even close. Could this be due to heat and smoke? Or maybe just normal life for Flash.

Spike the hawthorn still has rich green leaves, while the young emerging leaves are reddish. No flowers or fruit this year, but that's fine. Having nearly died (or so it looked!), Spike is to be commended for the healthy shoots and foliage.

Fresh young hawthorn leaf, with ant.


This my contribution to the August gathering of tree-followers. Thanks to The Squirrrelbasket for hosting!

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous colours, and looking pretty healthy.
    Love the ant...
    All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hollis, you have taught me a new word - samara. they are really vivid red. The hawthorn leaves may be more subtle, but also very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JP, I can't access your blog from the Linky page. Wordpress says I have to create an account. I'm pretty sure I have accessed it in the past ... any ideas ???

      Delete
  3. Plenty of colour this month. I hadn't realized that hawthorn leaves change like that. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the red and green comparison - glad Spike is looking good again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. My neighbor's Maple tree always seems to be reddish, and it's not a Japanese Maple. The leaves emerge red-tinged, and they start coloring again in late June. I think it happened faster this year because of the drought? Beautiful trees you're following!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Beth, Andrew, Flighty, JP and Squirrelbasket, thanks for visiting! Yes, red is becoming the theme in my front yard — Flash more so every day it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to get these updates on your two contrasting trees! Glad Spike is better now!

    ReplyDelete