Monday, April 13, 2020

A Tree

Question: If Laramie stays below freezing, will Covid 19 die?*

Winter returned to Laramie. Our temperatures haven’t been above freezing for three days, and lows are in the single digits (ºF). But inspired by our founder Lucy Corrander, who is back as of this month (!), I went to LaBonte Park to look for a tree to follow. And that’s exactly what I found—a tree.
A tree in LaBonte Park.

The shape and bark were appealing. I have no idea what kind it is but that’s okay—a pleasant surprise to look forward to when spring truly arrives.
I decided to commit to following this tree, whatever it is. Too much uncertainty in life these days; a firm commitment feels good.

There weren’t many human visitors in the park. Was it because Covid 19 had closed the picnic shelters and exercise stations?
Or was it because it was 14º F? No! We’re a tough people!! I saw several dog walkers and a birder. Summer waterfowl are returning, migrants are passing through; there were gulls and ducks on LaBonte Lake. Next visit, I will carry binoculars. Hopefully it will be warmer.
Consider joining us. Tree-following is fun and interesting, and in Covid 19 times, any tree or any tree article will do! More information here.

*Answer: Probably not. Coronaviruses generally are stable in a frozen state, surviving for up to two years at -20°C.

9 comments:

  1. I really like the shape of that tree. It has a punk hair style. A tree with an attitude.

    I look forward to finding out what kind of tree it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it -- tree with an attitude! Sorry everyone for not responding sooner. Blogger has quit notifying me of Comments unless suspected to be spam. :(

      Delete
  2. That tree is big enough that it must have handled past chilly Aprils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as cold as it's been (even -7º F one night) I'm sure we've had equally cold Aprils before. That's the way spring is here.

      Delete
  3. OMG, I thought it was bad here! That is way too cold for April. That is a great tree, though. I'll look forward to your posts about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx Beth, PS ... we wouldn't mind if you joined us ;)

      Delete
  4. I look forward to seeing your park in warmer weather and finding out what your tree is.
    It has an elegant shape and interestingly pale bark.
    I'm surprised Covid-19 is affecting you as I thought Wyoming was escaping the worst of it.
    All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, we are escaping the worst of it, you're right! We are lucky, so far. But we've had about 400 cases in the state, and we are being cautious, at least here in Laramie.

      Delete
  5. Hello Hollis, the tree has a nice shape, well balanced, I was surprised at how light the bark is up close, from a distance it looks so dark.
    I hope your weather warms up soon, take care, Frances

    ps I've tried posting this a few times but something won't let me, it's really weird because I haven't had a problem for months now and I had no problem with Lucy's blog which is also google, ........... techy technology.

    ReplyDelete