Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Tree Following: tree in a tree & a geography challenge

Where was I?
The large trees on the shore of this small shallow lake, one of many such lakes in the area, are Plains cottonwoods. Note they have green leaves in October. And the wind isn't blowing, just a light breeze. Obviously I wasn't home in Laramie, Wyoming.

While trying for artistic shots of gnarled bark, I noticed a small green ash tree growing out of a cavity in the trunk of a cottonwood.

I thought for a while about how this might have happened. Maybe the winged seed (samara) landed and germinated where enough debris had accumulated for the seedling's tiny root to keep it in place. Certainly enough rain (ann. av. 24") and snow (ann. av. 33") falls here to sustain it. But what does the future hold? Will the green ash live on when the cottonwood senesces, dies, falls? Will large recreational vehicles continue to fill the campground nearby? Will there still be a skiff or two on the lake at sunset?
Back to the challenge: Where was I? Specifically, in which US state and which quadrant (SW, SE etc.)? The next photos may be helpful. You can post your answer as a Comment, but sorry ... no prizes.
Clue on the horizon.
View from the top: trees galore, prairie in the distance.
This particular state quadrant was the destination of a recent trip. Blog posts to follow.

This is my contribution to the December gathering of tree followers, kindly hosted by The Squirrelbasket. More posts here. With no news about my tree (it's winter in Laramie), I'm reporting on trees elsewhere.

13 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...I'd guess Wisconsin or Minnesota but it looks a little too arid for that. Maybe one of the Dakotas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Beth ... Dakotas and not far from Minnesota :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm, do I detect the influence of Jack Handey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I didn't know of JH until I asked Google just now, probably not.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful composition - that first photo - worth rendering with brush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post, and good pictures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It always looks absurd when trees grows on trees. Like the winner in my region Norrbotten of the annual strangest tree photo competition that a forestry association has been running a few years now: Mommy birch and her five babies.

    Check the link at the site below that says: "Norrbotten: Mamma björk med sina fem barn", foto Anita Tranåker":

    https://www.skogssallskapet.se/ovrigt/pressbilder/pressbilder-pa-2022-ars-knasiga-trad.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! also that you have such a competition, and apparently a lot of interest :)

      Delete
  6. It's interesting to see the two trees growing like that. I've no idea where you were, but it looks like a pretty place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Hello Anon, no, not NW Nebraska. I should share the answer since I've fallen behind on blogging—NE South Dakota. Just started the blog post today ...

      Delete
  8. Wonderful blue skies - and a remarkable little tree!
    All the best :)

    ReplyDelete