Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Nearly Wordless Wednesday Tree Following

This is a post of few words because …
though the two trees I’m following by the Art building are now fully leafed out …
I don’t know what they are.
Do you?
Note remains of last year’s fruit.

 Here's a sampling of works currently on display in the lobby:



Thanks to The Squirrelbasket for hosting our monthly virtual gatherings. Read more June tree-following news here. Consider joining us. It's fascinating to get to know a tree, and your reports can be brief  … as I’ve demonstrated.


7 comments:

  1. Hollis, what an intriguing mystery or frustrating problem!

    the leaves are very pretty, especially with the amber blush on the young leaves, I hope someone can identify the trees, would anyone in the college know?

    Frances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good suggestion, Frances, thanks. I found something called Grounds Services in the directory. I will check with them before next month.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps Crataegus marshallii, parsley hawthorn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely leaves - very frilly and delicate.
    I was about to suggest some sort of hawthorn, too, and the foliage is very like flat-leaved parsley. Although I didn't know there was such a thing as parsley hawthorn.
    Interesting artworks, too.
    All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sb. I do agree it's likely a hawthorn of some kind. A reader also suggested C. ambigua, Russian Hawthorn, which would be more likely to survive here. But I'm puzzled by the absence of flowers--other hawthorns have them. Darn.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful leaves and they do seem hawthorn-like. Also, thanks for sharing that artwork--I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina. The art is a nice side benefit to tree-following this year :) I hope to include some each month.

      Delete