Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Still Searching for a Tree


Oh dear. It’s February 13 already. The window of opportunity is about to slam shut. I’m talking about tree-following of course. Early each month, we have a week to report our tree. Yes, a full week, but I’ve been really busy trying to catch up on work after being delayed by our #$%^&(@ government shutdown. And the weather has been mostly miserable. As I write, the wind is blowing 41 mph on average with gusts to 53. Temperature is 36º F (2.2º C). But duty calls!
As a tree-follower, I’m currently faced with an important question: Which tree shall I follow this year? I mentioned in my January report that I will choose a deciduous tree on the University of Wyoming campus. But I have yet to find the right one. Continuing on that quest, today I'm going to explore the area around the Department of Visual and Literary Arts. This is a relatively new building, one that I’ve not yet visited.
Department of Visual and Literary Arts webpage header.
Now off I go … 


... and now I'm back. What did I find?

Wind, seriously howling wind! But I’m glad I got out and focused on something besides updating the Park Service plant database. I found multiple trees of interest, but didn't attempt to identify them. I’ve been putting names on plants for months now. This outing was for fun, to look closely, to forget about the rest of the world for a bit.

These two trees (single species) are appealing for their form and location—nicely arranged. The bark is golden; a few old fruit hang on.
Resident cottontail.
The next photo is for Lucy Corrander, the original tree-follower. Yes, Lucy, we do have red berries here in Wyoming! Well … red rose hips anyway.
Not surprisingly, the wind occasionally "decorates" our trees with plastic bags.
I like the multi-stemmed smaller tree below, in front of the conifer. It appears to be dancing in the wind.
The brown-canopied tree in the next photo is the only one I could name—maple. It was obvious from the dried samaras (keys) waving in the wind. Luckily, I found some on the ground to photograph. This tree is appealing in part because of the nearby rocks.
Sandstone on left I think; definitely granite on right.
And the final candidate ...
Ha ha!

Yes, you're right. I went inside. It was wonderful to leave the wind behind ...
 ... and to discover that the departmental lobby is sunlit, spacious and includes a gallery.
Fragment of  literary artwork.

So what did I decide? Still not sure. But all of these trees qualify as good candidates for following, especially given where they grow. Stay tuned ...



10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour of the campus...and the trees! I'll look forward to finding out which one you choose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you might have to wait a bit, Beth. Nothing has really grabbed me though I do like the first tree's golden bark ... and proximity to the Art building :)

      Delete
  2. first my sympathies and understanding regarding the winds, we have had similar wind speeds and gusting, also much rain, are your winds drying (full of sand)?
    thanks for braving it I enjoyed the tour and look forward to seeing which you chose, the fist with its coloured bark, the bark looks like the mature bark on my coloured willows but they like a wet climate, I love the multi stemmed dancing tree,
    good to see your healthy cottontail, here they are dying of rabbit illnesses (my post after TF),
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, this time of year our winds are sand free, maybe because of snow cover. I think one thing we have to our advantage is being quite a bit further south. Am I right that you are in the northwest part of Scotland? We are at only about 41º latitude -- I shouldn't be complaining ;)

      Delete
    2. yes I am right at the very north west tip, 58 degrees latitude, but being an island we are warmed by the Mexican gulf stream that crosses the Atlantic, however it is that gulf stream that also brings the wind and rain, its a bit like north west Canada which is warmed by the Japanese gulf stream on the Pacific,
      you have every right to complain, strong winds warm or cold, wet or dry are not nice, and they are not good for plants or animals,
      I hope you have a have a nice Sunday, Frances

      Delete
  3. Waiting to see what you follow. your last series was great. A tree in a truck yard. Against a tin warehouse. Not the usual sort of pick, but your observation and attention was amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hollis: I'm afraid I'm going to have to subscribe to your blog! Darn! I have so much to do! Here is tree following of the nth degree for you from a lovely writer in England: https://tanyashadrick.com/2019/01/30/putting-down-roots/ Another blogger I can't resist following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm flattered! thanks Greer. Work is over and I will try to get back into the swing of things. And I will have a look at the blog you recommend.

      Delete